Velocity - the bhop game

This is so cool! Can’t wait to try out new movement! :slight_smile:

BasicTutorial: 12.87732
Level 2: 11.8158
Level 3: 11.89001
Level 4: 7.951904

don’t even understand the physics.

It’s time for another update, but this time you can try it out yourself!
I’ve updated most of the movement code, and need your input.

• How does the strafing feel?
  • Is the jump height ok?
  • Is the player moving too fast/slow?
  • Anything else you would like to have changed?

Things that still need to be done for 0.2.3:

• Level editor (it’s already in this pre-release version, but it’s mostly unusable)
  • Crouching/uncrouching fix (my horrible code still causes a lot of glitches)
    [* Leaderboard integration to my new server (I have a good one now)

Get it here (Download the test version): http://theasuro.blogspot.de/p/stuff.html

Have fun!

My antivirus seems to be okay with this for some reason :smiley:
The hopping feels completely different. I’m still not used to bunny hopping in general, so it’ll take time to adapt to this :stuck_out_tongue: Also it feels slower to start off, which might be an issue when it comes to existing times, but I guess you’re clearing the leaderboard once the physics is totally figured out, so that’s okay. Of course slower is also kind of less fun, but that’s subjective and what-not.

Other than that, keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Also it feels slower to start off
It's not actually slower, you just have to walk on the ground for a bit/do a circle jump. The movement is closer to HL1 physics now, and the strafing and speed gain is actually higher than before.

Edit: Just got a 10.4 on Level3, I think the speed gain is a little too much.

Ah, I thought that might be the case, I’m just generally bad at Half Life physics… so now I guess I need to learn to circle jump. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sidenote: I think it’s still slower if you start in the air, like in BasicTutorial. Why does that map even do that anyway?

It’s not actually slower, you just have to walk on the ground for a bit/do a circle jump. The movement is closer to HL1 physics now, and the strafing and speed gain is actually higher than before.

Edit: Just got a 10.4 on Level3, I think the speed gain is a little too much.

I don’t think it’s too much! I think it makes it a lot of fun to have this much speed.

I won’t complain if you decide to reduce it, but I think it’s worth keeping around for a little while longer to see how it holds.

I absolutely love it. The new physics makes it feel like you’re in more control of the hopping than before and the higher “airaccelerate” value is awesome.

I guess future maps will have to be made in a slightly different way though. This time around, with increased speed/faster acceleration I feel the maps should complement the new physics by being longer, larger and perhaps a bit less linear to allow for freedom in routing.

Other than that, no complaints from me. Loving it!

0.2.3pre version.

BasicTutorial: 9.862
Level 2: 9.499664
Level 3: 9.593666
Level 4: 7.370056
v_temple_v1: 12.80957

what

Normal crouch bug route.

Oh that still works.
[Edit: all the times are] Still insane.

So how do I get my time on the leaderboards? Or how can I access the leaderboards? I haven’t found any server information in this thread, or I just haven’t looked closely enough lol.

I believe the next update will be using the new leaderboard server.

ah, thanks!

Yup, the preupdate doesn’t upload to the leaderboard because I’m currently changing the host. Also the crouch bug will be fixed, so the times would be invalid anyways.

WAIT DON’T FIX CROUCH BUG, that would make BasicTutorial jumpless% even more impossible D:

49.67441 with crouch bug (nocp , jumpless)

i don’t think possible without crouch bug.

It might be possible to duckroll it, but I already gave up on getting past the gate because keeping speed while duckrolling is really hard (for me anyway).

Also, I found a really interesting bug where by duckrolling without any delay (as fast as possible) and holding jump, the game will freak out and apply what is kind of like a 501 fps slowdown but 10 times slower, so you can keep building up speed while barely moving at all. It also seems to cause you to randomly float high up too so you can gain height temporarily I guess. I’m pretty sure it’s useless though.

I don’t know what is duckroll uwu (i’m stupid)

the second last gap is impossible with normal duck.

the gate and other gaps is easy with normal speed and normal duck.