Velocity - the bhop game

Uploaded another small patch. Level4 should work now, I fixed a few smaller bugs and the crosshair now displays the speed in a cool way.

EDIT: The jumping bug will be fixed in 0.2.3, because I’ll rewrite movement anyways.

http://theasuro.blogspot.de/p/stuff.html

RIP Jumpless Run 2014-2014

I’ve been having a lot of fun with this so far. Keep up the good work, friend.

I actually like that crouch bug, sort of an über version of this q3 bug: http://youtu.be/0QH9lpqMFnI?t=1m23s

I think that you should implement horizontal speed gain once you fall and hit a slope and vertical speed gain if you hit a slope with horizontal speed. Would make the game less two-dimensional.

Edit: Also, the 3 sec locked state at the beginning of each run gets pretty annoying after a while. Better to just have a start timer trigger in the map (which the game had in a earlier version iirc).

+1 “Click to start” could work too.

I’m gonna second this. More movement possibilities there are the deeper the game will be. If the crouch bug is too big for your taste, maybe try and tune it down rather than get rid of it?

And then things like rampsliding, trimping, maybe even wallrunning would all be nifty additions. Maybe later add weapons to certain maps, like rocket launchers, grenades, conc nades (from TFC), the shotgun from Gunman chronicles, the plasma gun from Quake3, hell, even the shield gun and translocator from UT2004. If you manage that, this game would be the complete speedrunning package!

And then things like rampsliding, trimping, maybe even wallrunning would all be nifty additions. Maybe later add weapons to certain maps, like rocket launchers, grenades, conc nades (from TFC), the shotgun from Gunman chronicles, the plasma gun from Quake3, hell, even the shield gun and translocator from UT2004. If you manage that, this game would be the complete speedrunning package!

I agree. A complete speedrunning package sounds very nice… :smiley:

I think that you should implement horizontal speed gain once you fall and hit a slope and vertical speed gain if you hit a slope with horizontal speed. Would make the game less two-dimensional.

I’m gonna second this. More movement possibilities there are the deeper the game will be. If the crouch bug is too big for your taste, maybe try and tune it down rather than get rid of it?

And then things like rampsliding, trimping, maybe even wallrunning would all be nifty additions. Maybe later add weapons to certain maps, like rocket launchers, grenades, conc nades (from TFC), the shotgun from Gunman chronicles, the plasma gun from Quake3, hell, even the shield gun and translocator from UT2004. If you manage that, this game would be the complete speedrunning package![/quote]

I’ll rewrite most of the movement and add a few more things. Slope boosting (what Takyon said) will certainly be a part of it, and I’m playing with the thought of adding weapons in the level that you can pick up and do rocket jumps/grenade boost etc. with. I may add a few more things, but I want to keep the game simple, as complexity is not equal to depth.

Accidentially deleted half of the entries from the leaderboards. Sorry :confused:

EDIT: So yeah, I deleted ~300 entries from the leaderboard (200 of them unintentionally), but it’s less messy now. If you score a PB on a map you had an old time on, it will delete the old time and replace it with your new one.

Level 4 in 8.51 using the crouch bug.

Meanwhile, Level 4 sub15 w/o the crouch bug :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone is interested, here is an always up-to-date list of what I’m currently working on:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s398/sh/79315641-e1ee-4833-a5bf-59684604f1f5/4ab2bc10bc69916a

I’m always open for suggestions :wink:

A suggestion: upload the demo to the server when a person gets a pb and make those downloadable from the leaderboards to check for cheats and so that people can generally see how something was done.

Or require some kind of proof of the game running because right now one could just call the website from a browser with a fake time…

i’m not sure about this, but if game run a sort of client that would communicate with the server, you wouldn’t be able to fake it, because normal browser is running on different client. atleast the person that would try to fake the run would need a better knowledge.

You can’t just send a fake entry to the server, a secret key is required. The only way to cheat right now is to hack the client (or to use console commands, but i’ll fix that when i have time to code again).

Faking demos and making the client upload those is harder than getting a secret key from the client.

Yeah, I might do that. I’ll have to optimize demo file size before it can be done though.

I just thought of a way to prevent the secret key being figured out: have the code responsible for uploading be contained in an obfuscated binary which gets generated by the server and sent to the client each time the client wants to submit a time. The binary would have a freshly generated secret encryption key hardcoded into it, which the server would use to decrypt the time. The secret key wouldn’t be revealed to the client at all. That would be very hard to hack, since the binary couldn’t simply be replaced with a cheat one and pattern scanning would fail due to the code layout changing completely each time.

Then you could just send demos and / or memory snapshots to compare with other runs.

Yeah except you can send exactly the same request from an arbitrary application, receive the key and submit fake results with it, and considering Velocity is open-source, it would require only a couple of lines of code copied.