Timescale-assisted speedrun

Since the original route discussion thread didn’t exactly stay on the tracks, I decided to make a separate thread for timescale-assisted runs.What is a timescale-assisted run?A timescale-assisted run is a run performed at a speed slower than the default game speed. It uses the host_timescale console variable to manipulate the game engine speed. Combined with tricks and glitches in the game, the result is a rather fast run. This is very similar to tool-assisted speedruns of many console games performed in emulators designed with special functions made for speedrunning.How do I make a timescale-assisted run?Do these following commands:sv_cheats 1host_timescale [speed multiplier]demo_timescale [same as before] (this isn’t required, but better for realtime playback)load [save file] (or map ep2_outland_01)record [demo filename]Is this an official subproject of HL2DQ?Nope.Current Run Timesep2_outland_01 [ DemonStrate / 0.15-0.4 / ??:??.?? / demos+saves / video ]ep2_outland_01a [ DemonStrate / 0.15-0.4 / ??:??.?? / demos+saves / video ]

I think TSA (timescale-assisted) speedrun is good as a practice to perform normal non-TSA run

Ah, i didnt see you made a separate thread for this. Thats cool. Anyway, I have half of the next map done. Im doing these on a per map basis instead of a per chapter basis because they take an ungodly amount of time to do. I do work and go to college, so its hard to find the time to spend on these, but ill keep working at it.

DemonStrate, do you have any saves for the start of outland_02?

QUOTE (synthiac @ Oct 28 2007, 10:27 PM) DemonStrate, do you have any saves for the start of outland_02? Yeah, why? Outland_02 starts chapter 2, so you can just do New Game, Chapter 2, if you need to start from there.Edit: Also, for that Redone run of 01, I used .15 for movement sections and .4 for any wallclimbing. Its just the values that i seem to get the best work done with.

Here are links to the TSA runs so far.My TSA Runs:Note: Demos are v12. Current is v12.Outland_01Demos and saves: http://www.snapdrive.net/files/65733/tsa_01_demonstrate.rarYouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5U6YD5tS_EOutland_01aDemos and saves: http://www.snapdrive.net/files/65733/tsa_01a_demonstrate.rarYouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEWzp9TX-0k

I have a question, how do you turn that fast? Is it a script? Because… I need a turning script :DEDIT: I found the script now, I hope it legal for single-player games…CODE alias fastturn "fps_max 20; cl_yawspeed 7200; wait; +right; wait; -right; cl_yawspeed 32; fps_max 300"alias +fastturn "fastturn"alias -fastturn “fastturn” bind “x” “fastturn”

QUOTE (Xyrec @ Oct 30 2007, 07:34 PM) I have a question, how do you turn that fast? Is it a script? Because… I need a turning script :DEDIT: I found the script now, I hope it legal for single-player games…CODE alias fastturn "fps_max 20; cl_yawspeed 7200; wait; +right; wait; -right; cl_yawspeed 32; fps_max 300"alias +fastturn "fastturn"alias -fastturn “fastturn” bind “x” “fastturn” Actually, it’s called AHD IIRC. No scripting. Forward, jump, turn around, crouch and keep jumping. Oh, turn. He’s doing it in slow-motion, he’s not turning that crazily fast when he’s doing the actual thing.Also, I refuse to do a TSA run. If DemonStrate is doing one, I may as well do a non-TSA run. Then again, I’m not exactly the best runner out there, but oh well.

QUOTE (DemonStrate @ Oct 31 2007, 12:55 AM) QUOTE (nullsquared @ Oct 30 2007, 09:23 PM) QUOTE (Xyrec @ Oct 30 2007, 07:34 PM) I have a question, how do you turn that fast? Is it a script? Because… I need a turning script :DEDIT: I found the script now, I hope it legal for single-player games…CODE alias fastturn "fps_max 20; cl_yawspeed 7200; wait; +right; wait; -right; cl_yawspeed 32; fps_max 300"alias +fastturn "fastturn"alias -fastturn “fastturn” bind “x” “fastturn” Actually, it’s called AHD IIRC. No scripting. Forward, jump, turn around, crouch and keep jumping. Oh, turn. He’s doing it in slow-motion, he’s not turning that crazily fast when he’s doing the actual thing.Also, I refuse to do a TSA run. If DemonStrate is doing one, I may as well do a non-TSA run. Then again, I’m exactly the best runner out there, but oh well. Wait, did you just say that you are the best runner? What? I think you missed a ‘not’ in there. No, noone else has to do a TSA run. Im just gonna get the most optimal time (obviously) so we can have goals per map to be shooting for. Woooooaaah big mistake in there :unsure: :blink: :expressionless: [embarrass_emotion_that_doesn’t_exist_on_these_boards].Also, I’m talking as a whole different run. Not just who has the best time and who doesn’t. Because, obviously, someone playing in slow-motion will do a lot better than someone playing at full-speed. Basically, “here’s the crazy-fast TSA speed run, and here’s the humanly non-TSA, basic tool-assistance speed run”.Another thing: no else seems to want to run EP2. Just this board here of a couple people. :frowning:

Yeah, i only became interested in it after i found out the SPD glitch. Now, i guess im fully into it. If you could help out, that would be great.

Hmm, is it just me, or does ABH not work anymore? I’ve tried executing it, but I don’t go any faster.

QUOTE (OmegaForce @ Oct 31 2007, 01:39 PM) Hmm, is it just me, or does ABH not work anymore? I’ve tried executing it, but I don’t go any faster. Hopefully it still does, it’s super-important. I’m going to go try.Also, DemonStrate. Since I’m not a good speed-run runner, what about a gnome run? That’d be a pretty fun run. And a bit more relaxed, too. I think I might go do that. I’ve actually found a bunch of routes you can use and keep the gnome with you, since some of the normal speed-run routes will cause you to lose your gnome.First map works fine with your route, but you gotta throw the gnome and pray your aiming is correct and the gnome lands right where you need him. The part with the helicopter chase can also be avoided your way, and a gnome is easy to carry along. As for the part with the radio station, we wouldn’t be able to use the SPD’d axe (gnome falls off). There’s another route I came up with, you can throw the gnome up the mountain (hopefully past the fence, but I guess just “up the mountain” is good enough) and then ABH up. If you have something to wall-climb with then great, because otherwise you have to do a grenade jump or a secondary fire SMG jump over the fence. It works well, though.

There is a different technique of bhoping in this verison of hl2.You need to start forward, then jump and while in the air turn again. Now face turned around, and jump like normal. If you get it right you accelerate exponentially!

Heh, nevermind, I guess you aren’t suppose to hold the back key while you’re doing it. I remember it working, though, even if you did hold it. Oh well. Sorry guys.nullsquared, a gnome run sounds fun. I’d try one myself, but I’m not exactly the best runner out there either.

Wow, I did just try this timescale-assisted thingy in Portal, damn, it’s cool!

hunter_shoot_flechette isn’t a cheat, apparently.This is useful for chapter 3.