Soloing Co-op Maps

This thread is about soloing the maps from the co-op campaign. In this thread: discussion. In this post: progress. Below is a table of all maps, which should explain itself. As the main focus of the thread right now is finding ways to solve the co-op maps alone, the maps which aren’t possible yet have a big fat bold no behind them.

If you want to play just one map, download the map file below.

You can download the complete map pack here. In order to play, extract the archive to your [tt]portal 2[/tt] folder in [tt]Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common[/tt] (not the [tt]portal2[/tt] folder). When it asks if you want to overwrite, click yes. Now you should be able to start the map pack from the extras menu.
Note: currently there is still an issue with the transition from sp_coop_catapult_2 to sp_coop_catapult_wall_intro, this should be fixed sometime soon.

[table]
[tr]
[td]Map name[/td]
[td]Solo-able[/td]
[td]Video[/td]
[td]Download[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_catapult_1[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]Download[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_catapult_2[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]Download[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_catapult_wall_intro[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]Download[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_come_along[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_doors[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_fan[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_fling_1[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_fling_3[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_fling_crushers[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_infinifling_train[/td]
[td]no[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_laser_2[/td]
[td]no[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_laser_crusher[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_multifling_1[/td]
[td]no[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_paint_bridge[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_paint_come_along[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]YouTube[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_paint_longjump_intro[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_paint_red_racer[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_paint_redirect[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_paint_speed_catch[/td]
[td]no[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_paint_speed_fling[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_paint_walljumps[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_race_2[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_rat_maze[/td]
[td]no[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_start[/td]
[td]no[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_catch_grind_1[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_drill[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_end[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_laser_1[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_maze[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]YouTube[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_polarity[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_polarity2[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_polarity3[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]YouTube[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_tbeam_redirect[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_teambts[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_turret_ball[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_turret_walls[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_wall_2[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]YouTube[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_wall_5[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]YouTube[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_wall_block[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mp_coop_wall_intro[/td]
[td]yes[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Note that both mp_coop_credits and mp_coop_lobby_2 aren’t in the list. Credits not because, well, it seems pointless (and it’s quite obvious you can solo it) and mp_coop_lobby_2 isn’t a real map, and it doesn’t seem to work properly in single player. Although, hopefully, it will be edited eventually to be the main hub for the single player co-op campaign.

Something like a Glitch Training Course? :smiley:

I haven’t looked at the tools yet but if you can input commentary nodes then that would be great.

Especially the one’s which take control of your in game perspective.

But maybe I’m just wishfully thinking.

I guess that shouldn’t be that hard.
I could work myself into the editor again.

Maybe I’ll look into it :slight_smile:

EDIT:
So Commentary Nodes are Possible through the commentary System, which there is no editor for (at least none i know of).
So we could manually write the Comment Files.

I would just add some Buttons and then use view manipulation and sound effects and stuff like that to make it happen.

I think that way its a lot easier since we sure don’t need the instructions to disappear. (commentary 0/1)

Commentary nodes are easy to set up (There is an in-game editor for them)

Oh… Didn’t know that.
Well then it’s quite easy as well :stuck_out_tongue:

By my finds (and some tricks of others that I merely know are possible but can’t pull off, not a lot though) these are all the maps that can be solo’d, under the assumption that the doors that require both players to stand in front of them are removed/open with just 1 player in front of them. Please let me know if you find any others.

mp_coop_catapult_1
mp_coop_catapult_wall_intro
mp_coop_fling_1
mp_coop_laser_crusher
mp_coop_paint_bridge
mp_coop_paint_longjump_intro
mp_coop_paint_redirect
mp_coop_paint_red_racer
mp_coop_paint_speed_fling
mp_coop_paint_walljumps
mp_coop_race_2
mp_coop_tbeam_catch_grind_1
mp_coop_tbeam_drill
mp_coop_tbeam_end
mp_coop_tbeam_laser_1
mp_coop_tbeam_maze
mp_coop_tbeam_polarity
mp_coop_tbeam_polarity2
mp_coop_tbeam_redirect
mp_coop_wall_block
mp_coop_wall_intro

Of these, I think mp_coop_race_2 is hardest and mp_coop_paint_longjump_intro is most fun. Also, mp_coop_wall_block is a great demonstration of bad level design.

Also, it turns out I quite suck at making levels. So unless anyone else wants to make a mappack out of this, I guess this thread is now just about soloing levels.

EDIT: Added mp_coop_tbeam_end

I’ll fix the first 10 (up to mp_coop_paint_walljumps). If I finish them I’ll move on to the others, unless someone else does them first.

Please note that only 9 of these 21 maps (added mp_coop_tbeam_end) can be done without glitches. They are also not sorted on difficulty or anything, just alphabetically. I suggest that when you’re done converting all the maps - which I think is just setting the spawn point properly (sometimes you spawn above or halfway the level in SP), giving the map and end trigger and making the co-op doors open - you sort them on some sort of difficulty scale.

I hope you’re not making any other adjustments to the maps than noted said above, because that would mean they’re not the co-op maps anymore. Anyway, good luck and I hope I get to playtest this stuff soon =D

I’m removing the co-op doors between areas and moving the spawn to the bottom of the tube things that you normally start in. Haven’t thought about how the end should work though.

Just a thought, but the single player maps seem to have save triggers that function as automatic checkpoints. Perhaps it’s an idea to make those where normally the co-op checkpoints are?

About the end: You could either place end level triggers in both disassembly tubes, or you could replace the final room with the lift found in the normal testing chambers.

Ah yes, good ideas :slight_smile:

Bad news: turns out I forgot to test three maps. Good news: they’re all possible. So I’ve added these to the list up there:

mp_coop_teambts
mp_coop_turret_ball
mp_coop_turret_walls

None of these need glitches. I’ve also spend a great deal of time on mp_coop_fan, but I just can’t hit the laser catcher… You can grab a cube through the seems, then place portals roughly like you would to fling against the button and aim the laser through those. I’ve managed to get the laser aimed into the cubicle, but not against the laser catcher. Perhaps someone else might want to give this a try.

Also, quick calculation: 40 co-op maps, excluding credits and lobby, of which 24 are solo-able. That makes for 60% non-co-op in co-op mode! Yay!

mp_coop_wall_2 is solo-able with some epic strafejumping. EDIT: Video

mp_coop_wall_5 also possible. This one’s pretty amazing.

Holy fuck people. Amazing work! I’ve been trying to grab that second ball in wall_5 for ages, but never thought of that. Also, Cameron:D, how’s progress on the maps? If you decided to quit, I’ve started to work with hammer and I think I might know enough to do this map pack. Also, 26 out of 40 are now doable. 65%. We’re almost there people!

Alright, this button save glitch, although I’ve only gotten it to work once so far, is going to enable us to solo a lot more maps. Working on the assumption that it works with every floor button, two maps that can already be added to the list are mp_coop_come_along and mp_coop_doors. We’re getting even closer to a 100% solo-able percentage! Despite me sucking at it with the floor buttons already, I’m gonna give this a go with laser relays and catchers as well, let’s see what happens.

Edit: oh, I double posted. Ah well, happens to the best of us. Anyway, turns out mp_coop_come_along and mp_coop_doors are indeed possible. Also, mp_coop_fling_3. And I think it might be possible to solo mp_coop_tbeam_polarity3, but I suck at bunnyhopping so it’s incredibly hard to say for sure, as the jumps that are necessary are quite tough. The route I came up with is:

1. Use the faith plate to get to the other side.
  2. Bunnyhop to the button.
  3. Save-glitch it.
  4. Place portal on the nearest panel and the panel you’ve just opened.
  5. Bunnyhop through the portal. (Is this possible? Please let it be!)
  6. Should be obvious from here on.

It would be nice if this were possible, as that means the entirety of Course 4 would be solo-able. Apart from that, I’m not sure it’s possible to glitch wall buttons like that, but even if it were, the only place this would be useful is mp_coop_fling_crushers, where the wall buttons are timed. And I’m pretty sure the timer resets the state of the button, no matter what.

And for the math part: If mp_coop_tbeam_polarity3 is possible, we’re up to 75%.

If I think you’re talking about the glitch I think you are. Then you need to be the one NOT hosting the game. Otherwise the glitch doesn’t work. Something to do with lag I guess.

Nope. I’m talking about soloing maps, which pretty much means you’re always host. The glitch I’m talking about involves saving while you’re walking off a floor button. With some luck, the button will be stored as “on” and you’ll be stored as “not on the button”. Et voila, a button that’s on while you’re not on it.

Don’t you mean jumping off it? If Inex showed you it then it HAS to be done by the one who’s not hosting. Otherwise it doesn’t work. Otherwise it will work in single player too. If I’m wrong then that’s going to change EVERYTHING! :smiley: