Re-Run Useful stuff

We decided to make a topic where we could share all the useful stuff for re-running Half-Life 2. Here goes…
Items that you can fly on:

[ul][li]Barrels - Tutorial[/li]
[li]Supply Boxes - Place the box upside down, point completely down while flying[/li]
[li]Bricks[/li]
[li]Monitors/Computers[/li]
[li]Pallets - not the gibs… Needs more playing around[/li]
[li]Most of the flat items[/li][/ul]

[hr]
How to segment:

[ul][li]Load up the savegame[/li]
[li]While loading on the last bar, start recording. I would suggest to use this bind [/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Run the needed segment[/li]
[li]If you think you did good, stop the demo recording and save the game. You can do that with the bind below, or manually.[/li][/ul]

[hr]
Make sure your difficulty is set to “Hard” before running.
If you get any outtakes/bloopers, don’t overwrite them. Just rename the end of the demo to _outtake1 and so…
[hr]
AutoHotkey scripts
For bhopping:

[code]*SPACE::
Loop
{
GetKeyState,state,SPACE,P
if state = U
break

Send, {Blind}{SPACE}
Sleep,10
}[/code]
For wallclimbing:

[code]*c::
Loop
{
GetKeyState,state,c,P,SPACE
if state = U
break

Send, {Blind}{c}{SPACE}
Sleep,10
}[/code]
[ul]In-Game: bind c +use
[hr]
Maps where you can SPD items:
[list]
[li]d1_canals_01 - While the train is comming, place an object behind the first forcefield, to make the train and the object stuck. The train must stop if you do it right. After this, get the item out, and enjoy your spd’ed item[/li]
[li]d3_breen_01 - Tutorial[/li]
[li]d2_coast_07[/li]
[/list]
Well, that’s it for now. If you find anything useful, write it in this topic.[/ul]

[list]

You’re not really gonna be able to know your time and hp in advance, so I suggest recording to whatever suits you and then rename afterwards.

I use mwheeldown to record, and mouse3 to stop and save, I don’t have a good mouse4 button… Also, change the c in the wallclimb script to e, since e is default.

Also: These are my AHK’s.
Maybe there’s something of use in them.

Toggle the script so you won’t get spacebar spam when chatting.

Ladderspeeding

*Tab:: Loop { GetKeyState, state, Tab, P if State = U break ; Otherwise: Send, {blind}{Space}{lctrl} Sleep, 10 } return

I also noticed that my scripts had a line saying return after them and yours don’t.
Not sure what that means.

Aye, make this topic sticky. Might be useful for people who want to start running.

I also noticed that my scripts had a line saying return after them and yours don't. Not sure what that means.
Yeah, I had the same problem with my first AutoHotkey script. When I've changed to mines, the problem dissapeared. You should change it too lol. Also, nice scripts, gotta start using them :D

How do I use the scripts? I allways ABH and wallclimbing Manually so Ive never used any.

First, you should download AutoHotkey and install it. After that, find AutoHotkey.ahk file in your Documents folder and insert the scripts that I’ve posted above. Then just launch AutoHotkey, and while holding Space, you can bunnyhop and abh.

thanks very much!

Stickied. Keep the tips and tricks coming!

Great guide, nice initiative!

Btw, could someone please stitch all those different AHK-scripts posted into one? I really have no idea of how to do that without fucking up the code.

[code]; WAllclimb
*c::
Loop
{
GetKeyState,state,c,P,SPACE
if state = U
break

Send, {Blind}{c}{SPACE}
Sleep,10
}

; Ladderspeeding
*Tab::
Loop
{
GetKeyState, state, Tab, P
if State = U
break
; Otherwise:
Send, {blind}{Space}{lctrl}
Sleep, 10
}

; ABH
*SPACE::
Loop
{
GetKeyState,state,SPACE,P
if state = U
break

Send, {Blind}{SPACE}
Sleep,10
}

*f3:: Suspend, Toggle
; toggle script on off[/code]

You can fly on paint cans, though how useful this is is questionable

Demo playback fixes (fixes choppiness of ABH and so forth):
Enter these into console:

demo_interplimit 10000
cl_interp_ratio 2
cl_updaterate 60

These are what I use and they work like a charm. Sadly, you need to enter in the demo_interp command every time you load HL2, as it resets back to 4000 every time you close HL2. The other commands should stick.

cl_interp 0.01

Works, however you will get choppy NPC animations (walking, gestures, etc.). I’d not bother changing it.

Doesn’t an autoconfig file work?

New place to SPD Items! Tutorial Demo is available to download. I had to use ent_remove to remove the train, because my Item got stuck, tho it’s possible to get it SPD’ed without getting the item stuck.

Hi people!

Happy to rejoin after the HL2DQ adventure.

I have to be honest: I like SDA a lot and would love to see HL² return there. Do you think this rerun has the slightest chance to do so?

Is it possible to run the backwards hop without AHK? If yes, great!

If not, then to hell with SDA and let’s roll!! :slight_smile:

Whoa, an old-timer. Good to see you around these parts, AdHoc. Since this is going to be a scripted run, it’s not going to be allowed on SDA.

Hey there

Happy to rejoin after the HL2DQ adventure.
Allright. Join the SR steam chat.
I have to be honest: I like SDA a lot and would love to see HL² return there. Do you think this rerun has the slightest chance to do so?
Nope, we're competing with HL2DQ, so we're using AHK. Also, we don't need SDA.
Is it possible to run the backwards hop without AHK? If yes, great!
Yes, but it's easier with AHK, obviously.
If not, then to hell with SDA and let's roll!! :)
We are already rolling.

Exactly my thoughts.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for your answers. Yeah, got a lot of catchup to do…

I’ll reinstall HL² shortly and get myself up to speed. Didn’t run for HL2DQ, but might do so this time around :wink:

Right, I’ve tried editing the config file to allow Mouse 4 and 5 to start and stop demo’s, yet every time I check, they’re been cleared. How do I save my custom binds?