Half-Life: Source DQ

Completed maps with demos/save:c1a0 in 14s by DaleLewillc1a0d in 27s by DaleLewillc1a0a in 18s by DemonStrateInfo:-Bunnyhopping is HL1-style-You can’t climb on tripmines (removes a couple of shortcuts, or forces you to use other methods)-Grenade boost is MUCH more limited than in HL1. At least 1 large shortcut is removed by that - RandomEngy’s run at 36:07-All the water-walls have been replaced by massive walls! (removes a couple of big shortcuts)-You can’t push a NPC if he is only standing/walking. But if he is following you it seems you can. This removes a couple of shortcuts.-You can teleport NPCs (like in HL2). Easiest way is to jump onto their head and stand there, when they start walking they teleport (this doesn’t work when they are following you obviously). You can also stand in the NPCs path and walk towards him, this forces the NPC to teleport also.-You can’t press buttons/med-kits/suit-charger through walls (removes a few shortcuts)Here is a pack with some routes, shortcuts and other demos:http://files.filefront.com/HLS_DaleLewillr…;/fileinfo.htmlIn the pack I show these things:Teleporting NPCsLadderjump: Standing of top of a ladder (but still “climbing” it) and jumping = much higher jumpRoutes: Routes that might be good or that I show because the HLS-route is too different from the HL1-route.A couple of experimental train-routes (Train2 route WILL be used, Train1 is just a crazy thought…)My old Gonarch’s Lair runImportant sites/videos:http://speeddemosarchive.com/HalfLife.html - RandomEngy’s run which is pretty much our guide, but in HLS many shortcuts have been removed so we will have to route A LOT our selves.http://www.snappycrunch.com/temp - The zip-files in here. Spider-Waffle’s shortcuts and tricks (some of these tricks have a very high difficulty but I think that HLS’s bunnyhop speed is pretty much the same of HLSPbunny which is what Spider-Waffle is using so I think that all tricks can be done on HLS). However some tricks in there are…difficult…- Dark_Devil’s tau/gauss shortcuts tests:http://files.filefront.com/tau_cannon_shor…;/fileinfo.htmlhttp://files.filefront.com/tau_cannon_shor…;/fileinfo.htmlhttp://files.filefront.com/tau_cannon_shor…;/fileinfo.htmlConsole Commands (not to be used while playing):showtriggers 1 - Shows triggersr_drawclipbrushes 1 - shows clipbrushes (hidden walls and other stuff)Running HLS:When you are about to record, press your record button during the “Loading”-screen once, this will make the recording start as soon as the map loads. When the level has changed press stop a bit after the game has autosaved (this will stop the 2 demo).When uploading a run:What the file must contain:-Your demo-The .sav file for the run (the autosave file)-The .tga file for the run (the autosave file’s picture)-The 2 demo (if the demo you record is called “ccc” then you should also upload the “ccc_2” demo)All these files should be namned by this standard:“MapName”“PlayerName”"MapTime"So if DaleLewill (me) played the first map (c1a0) at a time of 14seconds the name would be:c1a0_DaleLewill_14sAlso upload the run on FileFront…Find the map name:It can be found by loading the map and looking inside the console or at the right top corner when console is active:http://static.filefront.com/images/persona…/xkpignzycp.jpg

Oooh. I thought we were going to do a Black Mesa: Source speed run. Hmm, I don’t even have this game! :expressionless:

I got 15 sec on the first map. But 14 is possible.But i do have a problem. The game doesn’t autosave after that map.Is there a way to bind quicksave to the stop button? Otherwise I’m already out…The jump from the train up to the (whatever it is called) in your demos isn’t possible? I tried without luck. But it is possible (I think) to stay on the train and do a direct jump to the crates in the green stuff. And I’m not quit sure if 14 seconds are possible anymore. I can get 15 without problems but I can’t get it down to 14 no matter how good I do it…

bind key "save hlsdq; stop"I think

QUOTE (InsaneB4st4rd @ Apr 15 2006, 12:54 PM)But i do have a problem. The game doesn’t autosave after that map.Is there a way to bind quicksave to the stop button? Otherwise I’m already out…There should be a autosave about ~1 second after the first level has ended (in the hallway after that slope normally). Autosaves seem to be set by time so that’s why you should upload the _2 demo also (so that there won’t be a “jump” in the video). Otherwise IF there is no autosave, Chomp has written the bind correctly.Before uploading a demo+save, make sure that you can continue the bunnyhop after loading the save. If you can’t continue smootly from the save then we could loose time.QUOTE (InsaneB4st4rd)The jump from the train up to the (whatever it is called) in your demos isn’t possible? I tried without luck.But it is possible (I think) to stay on the train and do a direct jump to the crates in the green stuff.Yeah the first train_experiment demo shows a thought I had, but a grenade-jump gives MUCH less boost than it did in HL1. I can’t do that grenade-jump either :frowning: Yes, you can stay on the train and do a direct jump to the hole in the pipe! (check RandomEngy’s video at 10:50). I was just thinking if this part could be done faster.I’ve also gotten 15seconds but I think that 14 is possible (even though I’ve never gotten it).Glad that you are on this project! :slight_smile: …but where’s the rest of the runners? :P—EDIT:Also the train2_exp demos: RandomEngy does this part by climbing on 2 tripmines and he is done with the 2 maps in about 21seconds (16:00-16:21). My time with the 2 demos is 5sec+25sec (30seconds) but it can CLEARLY be improved, so we might not loose any time of these maps. Also in the demos I take A LOT of damage that we will NOT take - we should hit better spots and not loose much health at all! (no problem) :wink:

You know… Spider-Waffle’s run is going to be awesome. He’s shooting for 35 mins compared to the 45 RandomEngy’s is. Some of the lil videos and things he has and tricks and stuff are awesome. Moddeling the run after his would be a better idea, but its not finished yet, which is one of the big problems. He said its almost done.http://speeddemosarchive.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?..8551288;start=0

Ah just checked the console and it said:sv_autosave 0Now I’m back in buisness :)And how do you do that jump from the HEV suit over the rail. I always crash my head…

I’ve updated the first post with short info:-You can’t press buttons/med-kits/suit-charger through walls (removes a few shortcuts)QUOTE (InsaneB4st4rd)And how do you do that jump from the HEV suit over the rail. I always crash my head…I fail some times, make it some times. You do a strafejump - just practise strafejumping from the HEV-suit platform…QUOTE (DemonStrate @ Apr 15 2006, 06:51 PM)You know… Spider-Waffle’s run is going to be awesome. He’s shooting for 35 mins compared to the 45 RandomEngy’s is. Some of the lil videos and things he has and tricks and stuff are awesome. Moddeling the run after his would be a better idea, but its not finished yet, which is one of the big problems. He said its almost done.http://speeddemosarchive.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?..8551288;start=0Yeah, Spider-Waffle’s run is going to be awesome but I doubt that he can change much in the first levels so we can probably play a few levels before he has an extremely different route. The first level for instance is only bhopping in a hallway.Also I’ve linked to his shortcuts and tricks in the first post so we have an idea of what the run will contain.He should be at 34:36 (RandomEngy’s video) and from there RandomEngy had ~10minutes left (which is ~1/4 of the entire run) so you could probably say that Spider-Waffle has 1/4 left. But we can still play the first maps because we can find routes our selves and there isn’t much to change in the first levels.If anyone hasn’t seen Spider-Waffle’s “Half-Life: Opposing Force” run the you should check it out:http://speeddemosarchive.com/OpposingForce.htmlOne of the best speedruns ever! (I actually watched it again today, just a few minutes ago)----I’ve uploaded an 15second run with the save as well:http://files.filefront.com/c1a0_DaleLewill…;/fileinfo.htmlIf anyone can beat this run, then do so and post it :wink: (show me your bhop skills now!)I still think that with a good bhop you can reach 14s - let me know guys! :slight_smile: Again, what runners are up for this? (This might not become a perfect run, but at least we could do it :slight_smile: )If nobody else is up for it, this run will be a DaleLewill & InsaneB4st4rd run :lol:—EDIT:Also my graphics-card is overheating again (I will have to turn down graphics)…http://static.filefront.com/images/persona…/jbliyjxgka.jpghttp://static.filefront.com/images/persona…/epvbkoiqje.jpghttp://static.filefront.com/images/persona…/vnzdpqkbfu.jpg

errr so this is going to happen? :huh:

Ha ha ha ha.Just uploaded a 15 sec demo tooIf you have the better autosave, we take your demo xDIf I would have been somewhat around 5 demo ticks faster it would probably have been 14 sec… but anyway there you goAhhh crap forgot to rename the demo n save ^^will think about it in the next Level :PAnd my demo is 4 kb smaller ^^

QUOTE (magzy @ Apr 15 2006, 08:07 PM)errr so this is going to happen? :huh:Why not! :stuck_out_tongue: QUOTE (InsaneB4st4rd)f you have the better autosave, we take your demo xDIf I would have been somewhat around 5 demo ticks faster it would probably have been 14 sec… but anyway there you goI liked your save, it gives a good start for the next map!I’ll try the map somewhat more, but your demo is best so far.Small note: Name ALL files like I did in my 15second-run (so that we know what file is for what map and so on). The 4 files should have that name-standard: “c1a0_DaleLewill_15s”. You don’t have to upload a new pack with renamed files, but for the next runs.edit:haha, yeah you saw the demo-names as well :PEDIT 2:14seconds IS possible - I’ve done it. BUT: The autosave was bad. 14seconds IS the target time!

How do you get 14 seconds? I can manage 15 without any problems, but 14 is a miracle to me… But I’m not giving up now. Anyway, I’m off to improving

First map in 14seconds:http://files.filefront.com/c1a0_DaleLewill…;/fileinfo.htmlI used your method InsaneB4st4rd (jumping with speed through the first “door”) but I ducked also. I really don’t think that a 13second run is possible, but maybe a faster 14second?The save-file is very good (it’s just before a jump so you just do a bhop to the right as the save loads)I won’t move on without hearing what you guys think…is it good or can you improve it?Also the jump from the HEV-suit over the rail: You DON’T have to duck when landing, if done perfect you can continue the jump from there.And InsaneB4st4rd (incase you didn’t know):You can play demos by writing “playdemo XX” in the console OR you can press “Shift+F2” to open the DemoUI (you can also write “demoui” in the console to open it). DemoUI looks like a movie player and you can browse all demos by clicking on “Load” and viewing them by clicking them.Also, a good bind to help with playing is:bind L "load c1a0_DaleLewill_14s"Then press your record button after you’ve pressed L (I use L, as in Load - but you can use any button obviously)…just incase you didn’t know (since you weren’t active in HL2DQ-running).and Off-Topic:What is happening with your RTCW run? It’s done but not up on SDA?

That map is just how I imagined it. Really nice. :)I think thats pretty much the optimum.The save is also good. I think next map should be around 28,29 seconds. But you can prove me wrong on that. :lol: Yeah thanks for the console commands, but I already bound demorecording to mouse 3. :smiley: I ran into some video problems, and my upload speed is extremly slow to say the least. And were just moving apartements, where I will have a faster connection, so it will take some time. I was already thinking about uploading the NQ to Filefront or something…edit:Hmmmm…When you hit all the jumps perfectly after the door you can jump straight over the control panel, hit the button, crouch and grab the suit. Only problem is that you have to wait until the chamber is open until you can jump back over the railing. When you do it right you still will be in crouch mode when you grabbed the suit and on your way back, without losing speed. But if you do this make sure to “slide” out on the left side, because on the stairs you’ll get “stuck” in crouch mode and lose all the speed.another edit:I think I drank too much beer. xDEdited the edit above.

QUOTE (InsaneB4st4rd @ Apr 15 2006, 10:25 PM)That map is just how I imagined it. Really nice. :)I think thats pretty much the optimum.The save is also good. I think next map should be around 28,29 seconds. But you can prove me wrong on that. :lol: Since only you seem to the only current runner except me, we’ll go with my run :Phaha, I actually did a practise run which was about 30seconds so yes; 28-29 should be the time on the next map :lol: QUOTE (InsaneB4st4rd)I ran into some video problems, and my upload speed is extremly slow to say the least. And were just moving apartements, where I will have a faster connection, so it will take some time. I was already thinking about uploading the NQ to Filefront or something…Glad to hear that it will be uploaded “sometime” at least :slight_smile: I’ve got the few maps you’ve uploaded from the run (3 maps I think) but I’m still waiting for “the rest of the maps” :stuck_out_tongue: I was actually thinking of a RTCW run a while ago, but seeing your runs just made me realize that I’m not gonna do it :rolleyes: QUOTE (InsaneB4st4rd)When you do it right you still will be in crouch mode when you grabbed the suit and on your way back, without losing speed. But if you do this make sure to “slide” out on the left side, because on the stairs you’ll get “stuck” in crouch mode and lose all the speed.I’ll test this map…QUOTE I think I drank too much beer. xDYay! Beer! :smiley:

Damn I post too much. :blink: I can get everything flawlessly until I the last stretch. I just can’t get a fast enough bunnyhop… This is driving me insane… oh… wait… I’m already insane… :rolleyes: Anyway, going try again tomorrow. Need sleep real bad.edit:I can see it coming:total tim 1 hour.InsaneB4st4rd: 2 mapsDaleLewill: all of the rest! :smiley:

QUOTE (InsaneB4st4rd @ Apr 16 2006, 12:08 AM)I can see it coming:total tim 1 hour.InsaneB4st4rd: 2 mapsDaleLewill: all of the rest! :DEDIT:What 2 maps will you take? :PAlso, we’ve only played the first map so far…we’re just at the beginning :slight_smile: I got a 29s run on this map, but the autosave afterwards sucks - we should probably go to the right at the start of the next map (like RandomEngy does). I’m not sure it we should walk into the autosave or if we should bhop into the autosave…bhop is faster though so when the next map starts, start bhoping!

Yo. I wanna get in on this! I have a few questions and i still wanted to try the first map. Also, can an Admin make another section of the forums for this? Its going to get confusing to tell what map we are on. I liked how in the HL2DQ run, you guys made different topics for each map.More questions: Can we either use AHK or a b-hopping script for HLS? If so, should i just use the old HL2DQ AHK script? Will that be fine? Anyway, Someone needs to keep a chart of times and stuff if we are doing this run. Oh, do i check my run time by using DemoUI? I usually just use playdemo, but i guess im assuming that DemoUI shows the time. I will see if i can improve upon the 14 sec on the first level. Im going to use AHK to try it too. I was at work all day, and im sorry i didnt post eariler that i wanted to run… (actually, i think i did when we started discussing a HLSDQ), but whatever. Ill try to keep up with you guys :-D.

QUOTE (DemonStrate @ Apr 16 2006, 02:04 AM)Also, can an Admin make another section of the forums for this? Its going to get confusing to tell what map we are on. I liked how in the HL2DQ run, you guys made different topics for each map.That is up to the admin Samppa, but it would be cool if we had a section like the “Members Only” section. I don’t know…we’re not that many runners either…oh well.But if we don’t have our own section I would make sure that everyone knew which run is the fastes by saying something like:MAP c1a0 completed! Demo and save found here:—Link to the run—QUOTE (DemonStrate)More questions: Can we either use AHK or a b-hopping script for HLS? If so, should i just use the old HL2DQ AHK script?Not a pure bhop script: Not one of those scripts that does all the strafing and jumping for you at least (those that are very complicated). A simple bhop script (such as a script that jumps ~5times should be okey - it’s been used in HL1/HL:OF speedruns). I myself used AHK for the first map, but I’ve been thinking of changing AHK for an simple HL2-bhop script (that jumps ~5 times). I’m not sure…InsaneB4st4rd: What do you say about using AHK? (AutoHotKey?)http://s7.invisionfree.com/HL2DQ_Temp_Foru…howtopic=5&st=0^^AHK is the script software we used for the HL2DQ run.Go ahead and use AHK with the old script DemonStrate, it should be fine.QUOTE (DemonStrate)Anyway, Someone needs to keep a chart of times and stuff if we are doing this run.Good idea, I’m modifying |Z|Option timesheet right now. It will not be done soon since I’ve got to go through the entire game to see what map is called what and also what maps we skip. But give me…say, a week or so and it should be complete (I’ve got other things to do as well).QUOTE (DemonStrate)Oh, do i check my run time by using DemoUI?Yes, you can actually start playing your demo with “playdemo” and then as the demo is playing you simply press “Shift+F2” and see what time the demo ends on (if you aren’t sure what time the demo ends on you can slow it down and watch the time in slow-motion).QUOTE (DemonStrate)I will see if i can improve upon the 14 sec on the first level.Go ahead! Just let us know if you beat the time or if you can’t beat it…me and InsaneB4st4rd will keep on trying the second level (but IF you beat the first map’s time the just tell us and we’ll use your save, no harm in that! :slight_smile: )

Okay, i wasnt able to beat the 14 seconds. I got close to 14 seconds, but couldnt beat it. Ive been trying the next map, and i was able to grab the HEV suit ONCE through the glass. Check it out:http://files.filefront.com/c1a0d_demonstra…;/fileinfo.html