Half-Life NO JUMP Speedrun (31:27)

I think everyone knows Quads No Jump Speedrun highlights vid. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0wM-vf1n8). But, the project stopped, so i thought - this is my chance. Its very good, that i finished this speedrun before the Half-life 21 is realised, because after every other speedrun will look like piece of snail sht. :smiley:
Its not the most optimised speedrun, but it still fun to watch till the moment, when i get gauss cannon - thereafter it looks more like a usual speedrun. Im still satisfied with my result, because when i started, i hoped to do it in 40 minutes. And yea, no more fancy sv_airaccelerate 100 - everything is done “legitimately”.

If you have time and you interested

enjoy :wink:

Ask me, if you have questions.

P.S.
There is “fastshooting” experiment at the boss fight, but without scripts it looks not that good (saved only like 10 seconds). All weapons (except of the primary gauss) still have a cooldown, so i shooted every weapon just once.

Big thanks to Quadrazid and his Highlights vid. for inspiration and some tricks.

Awesome run man! Gotta love those object boosts

Very, very cool. Good job!

I’m pretty sure you used some kind of slowmotion/speed hack.

However the route and tricks were really, really good. Very enjoyable!

I’m pretty sure you used some kind of slowmotion/speed hack.
However the route and tricks were really, really good. Very enjoyable!

Yep, i did used slowmo at some object boosting. But the sound at finished demo becoming very corrupted, so i got just few successful demos. Also i did used a full potential of slowmo at Nihilant “fastshooting”, because in this situation sound was absolutely not important.
Also, 15 years ago, in November 19 1998 Valve released our favorite game. So I congratulate everyone on the anniversary :wink:

Saying that everything is done legitimately and then admitting to doing some stuff in slo-mo could give people a bad view of you/the run. I’d suggest you put it in the description or title that slo-mo was used, it’s pretty bad to let the viewers think everything was done in real-time.

yeah name it a TAS or something

Yea guys, youre right. Its my fault, so i added this in the vid. description.
1)5:48 - 5:50 (Object moving segment)
2)10:03 - 10:06 (Object moving segment)
3)16:48 - 16:50 (Object moving segment)
4) Fastfiring at Nihilanth

Dont see a point of naming it TAS, because of the 10 tool assisted seconds. But im new in speedrunning community, so maybe there is a point?

Well, you’re still claiming that you used “no any mods or other cheating stuffs” and saying it might even be a record in the description, none of that is true if you’ve done parts in slo-mo. Plus to be honest it does look like you use the slo-mo on a bunch of other places, apart from the ones you’ve mentioned so far. Like extremely accurate weapon shooting (magnum shots for example) and mouse movement. And what’s up with the high pitch houndeye sound at 7m 48s?

If you have the demos for the run available it could be settled.

Well, extremely accurate aiming doesn’t necessarily mean cheating. However, yeah, you should mention that you use either console commands, cheats, or any externals (aside from AHK since that’s assumed unless stated otherwise, IE scriptless) even if you use it once. Just because you don’t use it much doesn’t mean it’s legitimate. Regardless, it was still entertaining to watch.

Well, you’re still claiming that you used “no any mods or other cheating stuffs” and saying it might even be a record in the description, none of that is true if you’ve done parts in slo-mo. Plus to be honest it does look like you use the slo-mo on a bunch of other places, apart from the ones you’ve mentioned so far. Like extremely accurate weapon shooting (magnum shots for example) and mouse movement. And what’s up with the high pitch houndeye sound at 7m 48s?

If you have the demos for the run available it could be settled.

Using your logic we can find a lot of suspicius moments in all other professional speedruns. And we all know, how segmented speedruns are done - doing 5 second long segment over and over again, sometimes for days, untill the perefect result, and about 16000 failed segments totaly prove my words. But you was right about “could give people a bad view of you/the run” - now you probably see an attempt to “fool” the viewer, but not a month and weeks of hard work. About houndeye pitch - dont know, why it sounds like this, but im pretty sure it somehow connected with transition from one map to another (maybe its some kind of consequence). About demos - yep i still have them all. As i understood, you want to see them? Just choose segments and i will upload them somewhere.

That was very entertaining :slight_smile:

You should name it a TAS, doesn’t matter if it’s 10 seconds or less - that’s how speedrun rules work.

Damn it, I have a no jump speed run in the works. Now looks like I’ll have to try and beat your time :frowning:

The whole point of a no jump run is pretty much lost when the health door is used. You can skip so many no jump puzzles when you can practically do unlimited damage boosts.
If you won’t use the health door in yours, I think it still would be a nice addition even if it doesn’t beat his time.

The whole point of a no jump run is pretty much lost when the health door is used. You can skip so many no jump puzzles when you can practically do unlimited damage boosts.
If you won’t use the health door in yours, I think it still would be a nice addition even if it doesn’t beat his time.

And the point of a no jump run is laso lost, when Gordon gets snarks, tripmines and gauss cannon. And i dont think the snark climbing or tripmine climbing all the way will be more interesting than a well planned grenade boost. But he will beat my time anyway, because some people made it clear, that my run isnt “legitimate”.

Don’t let this discourage you from posting/running HL1 speedruns here, we just prefer runs that don’t use anything that would compromise the integrity of the run.

The fuck, you’re way faster than me /w jumps…

crys

You should call it a hybrid speedrun. Still, very interresting. I agree with Quadrazid, watching a no-jump run without infinite health door (and slow-downs) would be cooler.

Lets Duck n`Roll baby!!!

Im starting a new no-jump speedrun. Reasons im doing this:

1. New speedrun is going to be without 2 tricks, that pretty much destroy a whole point of no-jump speedrun - changelevel trigger delay and infinite health door. You can call this “Spiderwaffle style”.
  2. There is going to be a lot of new tricks
    • In my previous run i didnt used some tricks i allready knew about (for some reason)
    • Many new trick i found by myself in last 5 months
    • Some HL21 tricks could be adapted to no jump run

The new major improvement is movement method.
Its possible to accelerate while duckrolling and this acceleraton is actualy very close to bunny hopping! Bunny hoping at 50 fps… Acceleration is very slow, strafes should be very accurate, beacause its easy to loose speed and the max speed is about 700 ups. After 700 ups you loose the same amount of UPS you get. But it still better than nothing.

Estimated time: < 29:41

There is a short preview of first 4 Anamalous Materials maps.

My time: 1:18
Spiderwafle time: 1:22
HL21 time: 1:11