Ep2_outland_01

Seg 1 Route Demo

1. Load map
  2. Wait through the opening sequence, and run straight down as soon as you can
  3. Make sure you grab a suitcase as you run to the end of the train. I’m pretty sure you can’t get a solid one if you activate Alyx and then go back for one
  4. I think there’s a look trigger on Alyx at some point, so make sure you’re looking at her to make sure she activates quickly
  5. Wait until Alyx lets you out, take the suitcase up to the container, put it down, then run back to Alyx
  6. Get the gravity gun, abh up the hill and blast open the container door
  7. Stop demo and save immediately, try to be quite far back from the container

Seg 2 Route Demo Save File

1. Run forward, jump out of the container, turn around and grab the suitcase with the grav gun
  2. ABH across the ground, aiming for the slanted cliff between the fence and rocks/trees
  3. Either get a mega-boost, as with ridd3r’s demo, or boost up to the mid-level, then abh up to the top level
  4. abh until you get to either the very end of the cliff, or you can go through the 2d skybox at a certain point and drop down from there. If you can, try to keep your abh speed by curving your jump
  5. When you reach it, jump over the invisible ledge oob
  6. Abh until you get to the train tracks
  7. Stop demo and save

Seg 3 Route Demo Save File

1. Stand on top of the suitcase
  2. Punt it with the gravity gun and jump repeatedly
  3. Hope that you get through into the tunnel, you should just pop up through there
  4. Save the game and stop the demo

Seg 4 Route Demo Save File

1. Jump forward and abh up the hill
  2. Just before you get to the top, turn around, punt the wooden plank away, trying to keep your abh going
  3. Abh to the end and drop through the hole
  4. Run forward and begin an abh, aiming to land your jump so that you go underneath the wood straight away and keep abhing
  5. Sometime during the abh, grab an object with the grav gun. Barrels seem to work best.
  6. Abh to the end of the corridor, then stop the demo and save.

Seg 4 Route Demo Save File

Route 1 (This is what’s shown in the route demo.)

1. Hold down crouch and space as soon as you load the game.
  2. When you get out of the tunnel grab the crate (not the ammo crate).
  3. Take the crate and wallclimb up the cliff with it. (The cliff you’re supposed to wall climb up is shown the in route demo.)
    You can travel horrizontally after you get over the fence but it may screw up the spacing for the next big jump.
  4. (Important and not very easy to understand.) As shown in the route demo I jump up to the highest possible ground. This is kind of important to do as it gives us the right spacing to do the next jump. (Tell me if I need to elaborate this.)
  5. Save game and finish demo. Upload here. :smiley:

Italics means it’s optional

Route 2

1. Try to stop the momentum from the ABH from the end of the last segment.
  2. Grab the barrel from right in front of you. (Try to avoid picking up a bottle. :slight_smile:
  3. Get out of the tunnel with the barrel and turn left. (The cliff you’re supposed to wall climb up is shown the in route demo.)
  4. (Important and not very easy to understand.) As shown in the route demo I jump up to the highest possible ground. This is kind of important to do as it gives us the right spacing to do the next jump. (Tell me if I need to elaborate this.)
  5. Save game and finish demo. Upload here. :smiley:

Italics means it’s optional

Extra Info: We have a harder segment after this where we jump over the map so where you save DOES matter. Round about where I saved in the route demo is a good template.

Confirmed Runners:

Segment 1: Completed: 1:09.4 Phase 1 time: ?:??
CooL
TYPICAL
Inexistence
Foxtreme
igge

Segment 2: Completed: 0:15.1 Phase 1 time: ?:??
ridd3r
Inexistence
CooL
Foxtreme
igge
TYPICAL

Segment 3: Completed: 0:05.6 Phase 1 time: ?:??
Inexistence
CooL
ridd3r
Foxtreme
igge
TYPICAL

Segment 4: Completed: 0:09.8 Phase 1 time: ?:??
Inexistence
CooL
ridd3r
Foxtreme
igge
TYPICAL

Segment 5: TTB: 7.1s Phase 1 time: ?:??
TYPICAL

Segment 6: TTB: 16.30:17.0 Phase 1 time: ?:??
TYPICAL

Final Time: 2:04.0
Phase 1 Time: ?:??
Time saved from Phase 1: ?:??

Yes, we have officially started Phase 2 of hl2ep2dq! :slight_smile:

As you may have noticed, we now use ticks and decimals of a second for our timing. We figured after ep1, when made into a video, they’re going to just take it all in one go, rather than rounding down each second. Plus this lets us more easily differentiate between two same second runs :D.

Edit: Made the first post nice and neat again. Fools jacking my threads.

FUCK YEAH!!

Put me down as one of the runners, I’m gonna be a hell of a lot more active this time around.

Good luck folks :slight_smile:

:smiley:

I’ll be running too. LET’S GO!!

This!

I’m still too stupid to ABH consistently so I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to contribute, but I’m definitely looking forward to your demos ::slight_smile:

I bet you have crouch bound to ctrl don’t you? Bind it to another key and use that for crouching while using AHK.

1:41.1, 6132 ticks Sub 1:40 should be possible, I think that should be an aim :smiley:

http://www.filefront.com/16239323/an_early_sign_that_this_isn't_going_to_be

Me dying 17 seconds in. :-[

Hmm, I do, but why does the key matter as long as it’s bound to crouch? I think the main problem is my initial speed. Most of the time I almost stop moving when trying to ABH. Maybe I don’t turn around quick enough and lose too much speed.

Anyway, after your R&D run you said there was a fix for watching demos properly in ep2 (which RE didn’t know about at the time he made the video). If you carry an object and ABH, it looks really weird if you gain enough speed, like the object is bound to a rubber band. Or am I mistaken?

Because with AHK ctrl is a function, not a button. It’s used to differentiate between W and Ctrl+W. So it fucks up AHK.

And I dunno about the fix really. I just lowered the interp settings and it worked. Not sure if that goes well with items.

Because with AHK ctrl is a function, not a button. It's used to differentiate between W and Ctrl+W. So it fucks up AHK.

The best way to describe it is the way the computer would see it. Is the user trying to hold ctrl and spam space or are they trying to spam ctrl+space. It would be a lot easier if we could reassign the physical key “ctrl” to another ascii character though. Anyone thought about that?

http://www.filefront.com/16239521/ep2_outland_01_seg1_TYPICAL_99.7s.dem

After much frolicking in the group chat we found out that ticks wern’t a reliable way to report our times. Frames and signon size also proved to be unreliable so it’s been decided that we’re using decimal times now.

Here’s some random demo information that was given to me by the listdemo command:

23:58 - TYPICAL: Demo contents for demo0.dem:
Network protocol: 14
Demo version : 3
Server name : localhost:0
Map name : ep2_outland_01
Game : ep2
Player name : TYPICAL
Time : 99.7
Ticks : 6649
Frames : 6801
Signon size : 141715
23:58 - TYPICAL: Demo contents for ep2_outland_01_seg1_inex_6132ticks.dem:
Network protocol: 14
Demo version : 3
Server name : localhost:0
Map name : ep2_outland_01
Game : ep2
Player name : Inexistence
Time : -1.9
Ticks : -125
Frames : 7248
Signon size : 134741

You were right. I was a problem with the ctrl button. Bound it to v now and it worked every time since then. Thanks for that.

New trick to use for the first segment:
http://www.filefront.com/16240263/ep2_outland_01_seg1_demon.rar

I ABH up the first hill. It was alot faster than object climbing. You could get some really low times if it was done well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6432493/Ep2%20Demo's/grav_jump.dem

Figured I should upload this for later on in the segment. May be worth segmenting for if people want to try and nail a perfect get out of the elevator quickly.

http://www.filefront.com/16247825/ep2_outland_01_abhing.dem

Apart from the oob bit where I sorta go in the wrong place; the abhing bit is what you need to do.

EDIT: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6432493/Ep2%20Demo's/ep2_outland_01_seg1_TYPICAL_96s.zip

96.0 With everything in one place this time. :-\

The link is broken.

It’s working now. The site that foust recommended me seems to go down a lot but it’s a little better than filefront if a lot less consistant.

Stop putting weird characters into your demos, woman.