Useful tricks and glitches

Bunnyhopping

Uh

Crouch Flying Glitch

Using a vertical excursion funnel, push yourself up against the ceiling. When done, crouch and push again. Then jump and go out of the funnel to fly.

Cubejump

Jump on a cube midair to clear gaps that normally wouldn’t be possible.

Edge Glitch

[video?]

When a portal is place near a corner, you can portal objects via the “outside” of the portals by pushing them along the corner from behind the portal.

Excursion Funnel flying glitch

[sample video]

Using a horizontal excursion funnel, push yourself against the wall, then crouch, jump and stand up again. You can now fly. This version does not require crouching and allows you to touch the ground. You’ll fly again when you jump.
When done on a “original” funnel (i.e., not one rerouted with a portal) the flying will remain between levels.

‘Fake’ turretboosting

If you stand on a ‘fake’ turret and poke it with another fake turret you will get boosted along with the turret beneath you as long as you keep jumping.

Flipshot glitch (peek-a-portal)

See video for details.

Object hovering

If you save & load you can drop objects earlier which makes you able to hover with them.

Portal Bumping

The same glitch as in Portal, when you shoot a blue portal at an orange portal (or vice versa) the portal will be placed at the nearest portable surface in the same plane. Even if this is on the other side of a small wall or emancipation grill.

Regrab objects

You can regrab cubes and other objects after you’ve jumped on it (very strict timing, almost impossible to do in real time)

Reportal glitch

If you shoot a portal just as you’re passing through one you gain additional speed.

Turret flying

(Co-op only(?) Needs testing!)

If you crouch jump into a turret and let go of crouch just as you enter the turret you get a massive boost.

Wallstrafing

Strafe against a wall to run faster.

Hit me up if a description or a video is incorrect.

This is just what I was looking for! As a person who still hasn’t finished Portal 2 and therefore hasn’t had time to check out tricks… THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! :smiley:

My favourite bunny hopping tutorial. How I learned!

Copied this from a text file on my computer:

Reportaling - logitechSDAZ
Right before entering a portal, shooting a portal in the exact same spot to get a speed boost on the way out.

Crouch Flying - romscout
Using a vertical excursion funnel, push yourself up against the ceiling. When done, crouch and push again. Then jump and go out of the funnel to fly.

Exfu Flying - NabsterHax
Using a horizontal excursion funnel, push yourself against the wall, then crouch, jump and stand up again. You can now fly. This version does not require crouching and allows you to touch the ground. You’ll fly again when you jump.
When done on a “original” funnel (i.e., not one rerouted with a portal) the flying will remain between levels.

Portal Bumping
The same glitch as in Portal, when you shoot a blue portal at an orange portal (or vice versa) the portal will be placed at the nearest portable surface in the same plane. Even if this is on the other side of a small wall or emancipation grill.

Edge Glitch - Paraxade
When a portal is place near a corner, you can portal objects via the “outside” of the portals by pushing them along the corner from behind the portal.

Here’s a video of Portal Bumping.

He says not to use the forward key when bunnyhopping. I thought you had to keep holding W while you strafe side to side? Or is it different in Portal 2?

It’s different in Portal 2

Is there any console command to show your movement speed?

Didn’t test this, but iirc the cvar cl_showpos should do the trick.

Yup that works, thanks.

From Inexistence:

Inexistence: You don’t jump ExcFu glitch. Just a full crouch, and it works
Inexistence: Also, you can crouch before you stop moving. So you walk into it, hold crouch down, wait until velocity hits 0 (using cl_showpos), then uncrouch and move out straight away. Optimised excfu glitch

The lack of jumping was from ExplodingCabbage, the early crouch was from me :slight_smile:

From SDA:

ExplodingCabbage 2011-05-04 05:22:07 am
Okay, I did quite a bit of testing of the Excursion Funnel glitch last night with Inexistence and Scepheo and I think I’m ready to write up our findings. Much of this may be known to all or some of you but I thought I’d put a complete guide to the ExFu glitch in one place.

So, here’s how you do it:

The Basics:

1. Enter an excursion funnel (henceforth referred to as an ‘ExFu’ or a ‘funnel’)
    (Note 1: DON’T jump into the funnel. Jumping removes your ability to crouch until you next touch the ground, and you’ll need to crouch later. Run or drop into the funnel instead.)

2. Have your velocity reach 0 and remain stable (i.e. not fluctuating up and down or flicking between two values). Usually this is done by pushing up against something, like a wall or ceiling or other player.

(Note 1: When first practising this, it’s a very good idea to type cl_showpos into the console to bring up a little box at the top-left that shows your velocity and position.)
(Note 2: In co-op, player 2 will see their velocity stabilise at some non-zero value instead of 0. Player 2 should treat this value as zero for the purposes of the Ex-Fu glitch.)
(Note 3: If you enter the funnel partway along, you’ll have to ride it into the wall/ceiling/obstacle you want to become stationary against, and it will take several seconds for your velocity to reach 0. For speedrunning, you’ll want to find ways to reduce the time you spend waiting for velocity to hit 0. For example, when doing the glitch against a wall with a horizontal exfu, if you run along the wall into the end of the exfu then your velocity will hit 0 instantly with no delay.)

1. Change your crouch state. In other words, if you are crouched, uncrouch, and if you are uncrouched, crouch. Make sure you fully crouch or uncrouch before proceeding to step 4.
    (Note 1: When doing the glitch with a horizontal exfu, you can watch your z-coordinate in showpos to know when you are fully crouched/uncrouched)
    (Note 2: When doing the glitch in a vertical exfu, it’s easy to mistakenly think you’ve fully crouched or uncrouched when you haven’t. If the glitch isn’t working for you, try waiting an extra second after you hold or release the crouch button.)
    (Note 3: Usually, you won’t be able to go from a crouched to an uncrouched state whilst stationary in an upward excursion funnel, since usually go get to 0 speed in an upward excursion funnel you need to be pressed against the ceiling. However, it is possible to do this (and hence get the uncrouched version of the ExFu glitch from a vertical ExFu) if you push up against another player in co-op instead of against a ceiling. I don’t know whether the same is possible with objects.)

2. Remain in your new crouch state and leave the funnel. You are now in zero gravity, and can freely move horizontally.

(Note: Contrary to what has been said by some others, you do NOT have to wait until your velocity reaches 0 again before leaving the funnel. Nor do you have to press jump at any point.)

As long as you remain on the same level, the fly glitch remains active until either:
a) You fully change your crouch state again (by either releasing crouch if you’re flying with crouch held, or holding crouch if you’re flying standing up,
or
b) You delete the part of the excursion funnel you used to initiate the glitch by removing the portal it was routed through.

(Note: You can land on the ground and run/crawl around whilst retaining zero gravity; you’ll resume flying when you run of the edge or, in the case of the uncrouched version of the glitch, jump. Remember that you can’t crouch until you touch the ground again after jumping, so jumping with the glitch active makes it harder to deactivate.)

The inter-level version

A few things to know here:

1. If you activated the glitch using a portaled ExFu, you will not be able to carry the glitch over to the next level. You will lose it as soon as the next level begins and resume normal movement.

2. If you activated the glitch using a non-portaled ExFu, all you have to do is reach the level end trigger with the glitch still active and you’ll start the next level with it active.

3. Changing level with the glitch active changes the conditions for it to deactivate. Namely:

a) You can no longer turn off the glitch by changing your crouch state.

b) The glitch will turn off immediately when you next enter an ExFu

The rotated movement ExFu glitch Okay, I suck at coming up with good names for stuff.

There’s another version of the ExFu glitch that behaves similarly except that instead of being able to accelerate in any horizontal direction, you can instead accelerate in any direction along a vertical plane perpendicular to the ExFu. I don’t know everything about it yet but I’ll share what I know.

1. Standing, enter the very top or very bottom of a horizontal ExFu, stay at the highest or lowest point and reduce your velocity to 0.

(Note: The easiest ways to do this are to drop along a wall into an ExFu that ends on that wall, or to crawl under the end of a carefully placed ExFu and stand up into it.

1. Fully crouch.

(Note: You’ll know you’ve got part 1 right if you DON’T hear the ExFu entry sound effect again when you crouch, like you would with the normal ExFu glitch.)

1. Leave the funnel without properly entering it and triggering the ExFu entry noise. You can now move freely in a vertical plane perpendicular to the ExFu (i.e. you can move up and down if you like), BUT

a) You can’t accelerate yourself along the line parallel to the funnel.
b) There will now be a massive invisible block preventing you from ever going above the top of the ExFu you used to initiate the glitch, at least until you stop the glitch or convert it to the normal ExFu glitch
c) If you uncrouch, the glitch will deactivate, and if you enter an ExFu, the glitch will convert into the normal ExFu glitch.

Questions I don’t currently know the answer to:

1. Can the rotated ExFu glitch be transferred between levels? What happens if you do this?
  2. Is there a way to do the rotated ExFu glitch with vertical ExFus instead of horizontal ones?
  3. Is there a way to do the rotated ExFu glitch by uncrouching, instead of by crouching?

Not quite sure if this can be used anywhere but it does have potential usage I suppose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCeFcw2c4Tc

It’s useful in sp_a3_crazy_box, at least.

Just a suggestion, but I think more research should be done into reportaling during the floating glitch. I’ve seen ExplodingCabbage try, and unless the speed gain was from strafing, I’m pretty sure it works. Although the specifics of it are unknown or, at the very least, not posted here. Go forth and test! Test! For science!

It works. Found out that a reportal will ALWAYS add exactly 200 ups, but when you get over 1000, after going through a portal, your speed is set to 1000. So with a reportal there you can get 1200.

I’ve found an interesting trick, called it wall strafe-jumping, it is basically bunnyhopping/strafejumping but without rotation, using a wall instead.
Here is how you can use it:

Sadly this is already known and is usually referred to as wall strafing. :slight_smile:

No, it’s not wallstrafing, and I do know about wallstrafing. With wallstrafing you have a limited speed (261 in P2), and using this trick you can gain much higher speeds, I got ~400 on sp_a3_03.

Also you can’t do that jump with just wallstrafing, just try it.