Squid jump?

Might be useful.http://www.xfire.com/video/13b25a/Ignore the background music, must of gotten uploaded too when I was recording. [REDACTED CRINGE]

Will be useful. Damage boosts are a rare delicacy in Half Life nowadays. :)Edit: Bought HL:s today. Squid boosts are more useful than you thought. :stuck_out_tongue: I found tons of places I could skip because of the way they damage you.

Yep.

After the sliding down ramp and broken bridge there is a squid which can boost you up to the second broken bridge. Untested but I’m pretty sure it’s possible.Edit: Possible but VERY HARD. Need host_timescale 0.1 to do it but at least we know it’s possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

QUOTE (typical @ Oct 17 2009, 02:57 AM) After the sliding down ramp and broken bridge there is a squid which can boost you up to the second broken bridge. Untested but I’m pretty sure it’s possible.Edit: Possible but VERY HARD. Need host_timescale 0.1 to do it but at least we know it’s possible. :stuck_out_tongue: Squid jumps have been around since the HL1-days so it’s not a new trick in that sense.Considering that second broken bridge: If you check out Spider-Waffle’s 30min run of HL1 then you’ll see that he simply jumps that bridge with his superb bhop skills. I don’t know if HLS allows for such speeds, nor do I think that I’ve got the skills to perform that jump to be honest.Today I’ve found a new trick, which actually is a modification of a old trick I found a long time ago in the “Test chamber”, I present to you:Vertical Object Boosting (VOB):Put a movable object against a wall, then walk against that object while crouching (the direction you’re facing it doesn’t seem to matter) then press your AHK-button (jump).The reason for why I mention this is that you can actually use this at that broken bridge. Simply put the big box against the wall, crouch+push against it+AHK-jump and you’re up on the bridge.The height of the jump changes for some reason, I’m suspecting that the characters speed has to do with the height and possibly what object you’re using. The jumps were much lower when holding both crouch and walk for instance. I haven’t tested if changing the milliseconds in your AHK-script has any effect either. I’ve found a pretty sick sequence-break in the test-chamber using this trick…Edit: The test-chamber sequence-break didn’t work since the cart vanishes after the map-change. You can change the level by entering the trigger but the fall will kill you.It’s a great trick to get very high vertical jumps, which is good since explosion-boosts don’t give as much vertical boost in HLS/Source compared to HL1.I’ve tried this trick in EP1 as well, but it doesn’t seem to work.That is all.

That’s all!? That’s amazing! Any chance of a demo of it being done? :slight_smile:

QUOTE (DaleLewill @ Oct 20 2009, 01:36 AM)Squid jumps have been around since the HL1-days so it’s not a new trick in that sense.Yeah, just reiterating the fact that its a trick you can use.

I was experimenting with VOB a little, I found that you don’t need to push the object against anything necessarily, just crouch, move towards the object and hit your ahk-key. There are some variations when you grab the box also, push into it, press and hold ahk-key and releasing use key sets you off, this might be better in cases you want to face the direction you want go. All in all, fairly easy trick and sets you flying really high, there’s no place yet where I didn’t manage to hit the ceiling but it was a quick test due to my limited time so didn’t try in really high places yet.
Tried with barrels and a box, both work brilliantly :slight_smile:

Could someone make a small video of this VOB-trick? ::slight_smile:

Not mine. Thank Miraj. :wink:

LOL Thats awesome! ;D

Old video got removed when Miraj got banned from youtube. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know.

Anyway he re-uploaded and I figured I should just leave this here.

In other news I’m still unable to do this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Try this, push a barrel to a wall, crouch, press and hold your forward key, now notice how you move slightly closer to the barrel, release forward, you may move slightly back or not, if you move back, try again, just a small tap, you need to get stuck in that position where you are “forwarded”, now simply press (ahk)jump and enjoy your flight :smiley: Try in places with a low ceiling with a slope for extra fun :wink:

This method is way more reliable when you are just testing it out, not very fast but you know before you jump if it’s going to work or not.

If you do it with an object that isn’t facing anything, just approach it carefully, tap forward, you need to get into that same stuck position like with the above example, a little luck is needed expect with barrels where you can tell if it works if the barrel sparks but doesn’t move.

Now that was for practice purposes, both examples can be done smoothly without forward tapping, on my attempts stopping completely has been required, so if done with an object not facing anything, you need to time when to stop moving and just slide to the right position :slight_smile:

That being said, something weird happened earlier, I managed to launch a barrel about halfway up the headcrab elevator shaft and I haven’t been able to replicate it :confused:

Vertical Object Boosting

Thanks for your help. :smiley:

Does anyone still have video of VOB? Or perhabs, demo? Or it got fixed? Doesn’t seem to work for me.

I have a vid of one squid jump (plus other usefull/useless stuff). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R50a1HSavWk

Thanks a bunch. Didn’t know that schrodinger’s crouch lets you clip in HLS. oO

I play on the first version of the game and it does not have schrodingers crouch. It’s just a ‘normal’ Old Engine crouch. And there are only few spots you can do this in

Oh, ok. Whatever you say. And I guess there’s even fewer places where it can be useful. At least, I haven’t found any.

EDIT: Since I don’t want to start a new topic I’ll ask here. When I start the map or load the game I can’t move for a second or two. Is there any cvar to fix it? Or I just have to deal with it?