First of all, let me just happily announce that Jared “Centaur1um” is back in business! After dealing with stuff in his private life, he’s back in the administration of SourceRuns! Welcome back, brother.
Second of all, we have some big news… From now on we will start taking submissions!
Ever since the releases of runs like DWaHMoV and PDP-er, SourceRuns has gained a huge number of members and subscribers. This means that the “SourceRuns team” isn’t as evident as it used to be, with many members focusing on different parts of Source running (some members only do Portal 1/2 running, some only Source mods, some only gold source games, etc. etc.). There’s been a lot of members asking if we could feature their runs on our YouTube channel and previously we haven’t had a system for taking submissions. Well, that’s about to change!
We have seen a lot of really high quality runs in the forums lately and sadly those runs only a get a fraction of the views they deserve. By applying through the form (located at the bottom of the text) we give anyone the opportunity to submit their run of any Source game/mod of HL2, EP1-2, Portal or even Gold source (HL1, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, etc.) and with any category (least portals, crowbar only, etc.) given that the category is interesting enough to watch. The SourceRuns administration will review all submissions to ensure that the runs we upload on our YouTube channel holds very high levels of quality. Both in terms of video quality as well as how optimized the runs are.
This is what we expect from your run, in order for it to be accepted:
- Encoded and rendered in 16:9 HD (720p is accepted but 1080p would be preferred).
- If your run is segmented, the segment transitions have to be smooth and somewhat seamless.*
- Your run has to be very optimized. If you lose seconds here and there from sloppy BHopping/ABH’ing and/or your routes could easily be improved, your run will not be accepted.
- Your run can not include any sort of copyrighted material what so ever. If a mod uses a licensed song for example, you need to either replace the music during that part or remove it completely.
- Do not add any sort of editing special effects such as slow motion (duh), motion blur, lens flares, etc. The only alterations of the game we approve that may be added in post production are the runner’s name, end credits and color grading to smooth out segment transitions.
More on high-quality video production:
If your run is accepted it will be uploaded to our YouTube channel with soon-to-be 10 000 subscribers. It will feature your nickname in both title (given that your nickname isn’t a million characters long) and description, if you wish to add links to your twitter/twitch/steam etc. in the description you are welcome to do so.
Apply here, good luck fellow SourceRunners!
Since we have received a couple of questions, our ruleset has been updated.
- The final video has to be in 60 FPS and encoded in a YouTube friendly way (meaning the 60 FPS works in the YouTube player).
- You may upload your run(s) to your own/other YouTube channels as well, with an exception of any of the SDA affiliated channels.
- You may submit your run to SDA and have it verified there.
- The standard rule for timing your run may not always apply. Consult with us if you disagree with it for your specific mod/game.