I am about to start my own HL1 project and I have a few questions before I start the grind. I don’t want to get halfway through just to realize I should of been doing something differently the whole time.
I have been playing/running Half-Life for years but have only done so for fun and I have not made anything public besides some short video tests. I have experience with making runs/video in Source but GoldSrc is very different.
If anyone could answer these questions I would be grateful.
- What client would be best to make a segmented run? Currently I am using NGHL.
- What method should I use to record/stop demos? Currently using auto-record in NGHL
- How should I save? Is there a special bind I should use or is “save savename” the proper way to go? I want to make sure the project is timed properly but also want to try my best to make the transitions as smooth as possible for the video.
- Is it possible to pause/save during a loading screen like in the Source engine?
- Are there graphics settings that are locked into demos? In Source the fov is recorded with the demo and I don’t want any nasty surprises like that.
- How do I handle the segments that require NPCs to open doors? If you save/load Barney loses his keys and can’t open the door. How can I load the start of the map to make sure the doors can be opened?
- Any other piece of advice?
I don’t want to give out any specific details about the run but it will be segmented, mostly 250fps, and use a jump script but not use any others like duck roll. The run will not be challenging any world records and is just something I am working on for fun.