SDA no longer accepts scripted runs!

Mike has made an updated rules post stating the ep1 run is the last scripted run that will be accepted on SDA. That means the ep2 run, unless restarted and done without scripts, won’t be published on SDA. Just to let everyone know.

Oh, what the fuck? Well, at least ep1 got released in time. Maybe we should just stick to releasing here and Youtube…

Haha, that’s hilarious, especially after the 10 page discussion on the new HL run. THEY, the SDA admins, were the ones who convinced the runners around SW to do their run on a version accepted by SDA… and now they decided they won’t allow any scripted run? Makes you wonder why the fuck they were arguing in the first place.

Anyway, it’s kind of sad for us, too, but I think we should continue the run nonetheless. As was discussed in the 26 min HL thread on SDA, most people will still watch it because the stuff we have planned is impressive, not because it’s approved by SDA. And moving away from AHK simply won’t allow us to do any of the tricks we have planned. The run will only appeal to the purists on SDA and not to the general audience. And most importantly, it won’t appeal to me anymore. The tricks we are able to do BECAUSE of the scripts are exactly what dragged me into HL2 speedrunning in the first place.

I agree. I wasn’t incredibly fussed about if we got rejected from SDA for ep1, just because I knew they were becoming more and more anti-script, I didn’t want to cause much controversy. I might ask if it’s still reasonable for us to maintain our thread on the SDA forum, as I know a couple of people probably read that. I just remember in the new HL thread, them being told off and it being moved to casual speedrunning because it wasn’t an SDA legal run at the time.

I’ll ask, but really, I don’t think this matters much. Kinda wish they’d waited though, would’ve been nice to have a full Half Life set of runs before they banned it.

Didn’t they use scripts in the Quake runs? ???

Not turbo scripts which require external programs. I think they just used basic config stuff and things like grenade timers.

Yeah good point, maybe they just decided to let people have threads even if they aren’t SDA legal, who knows. At the least we can have a thread in casual forums even if we aren’t allowed to have one in pc games.

I know, from trying HL2 with jump bound to mousewheel that you end up doing a slightly dumbed down version of some of the stuff they do. But is it actually impossible to abh properly with mouse wheel? You’re still allowed to bind to mouse wheel and any other button, it’s just the use of AHK they don’t like.

I know, from trying HL2 with jump bound to mousewheel that you end up doing a slightly dumbed down version of some of the stuff they do. But is it actually impossible to abh properly with mouse wheel? You're still allowed to bind to mouse wheel and any other button, it's just the use of AHK they don't like.

There’s some mouse’s you can get where you can simply spin the mouse wheel and it won’t stop spinning. There’s no ban against that. YET!

I’ve been practicing a SS with Portal. I’ve been using mousewheel to abh, it’s obviously not as easy, but it’s fine. And I just have a crappy windows mouse :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s easier to ABH than to bunny hop with mouse wheel since you’re closer to the floor.

Judging when you’re a meter away from the floor is harder than judging half a meter and jumping as soon as possible is all about prediction.

Still. I might get my hands on a modded mouse so that Ep3 will be more runnable. Then again there might not even be any jumping tricks at all. :-\

Bind both mwheelup and mwheeldown to jump, and scroll up and down like mad. Just make sure you don’t switch from up to down or vice versa the moment you touch the ground. This, ofc, makes abhing up an incline much harder, but it still works.

I refuse to do that. The segments so far were a pain in the ass even with AHK, I don’t even want to imagine how annoying it’ll be with the mouse wheel technique.

Maybe we should start a poll for this then? So far, only Josh and I made an actual statement as to whether we want to keep using AHK or not. And maybe we should have a poll as to whether we should have a poll about having a poll as to whether we should have a poll as to…

We could just really take the piss and use console commands that don’t require sv_cheats 1 to use and use literally 1000s of segments as there is no longer any limit.

SDA admins clearly don’t speedrun amirite?

I suggest we do an airboat run then since spawning it isn’t cheat protected :> Should make for an easy outland_10a route. It’s also possible to build a bridge of airboats so you could make it across the entire map without touching the ground :smiley: I like it!

They definitely need to refine the rules on console commands but we couldn’t use 1000s of segments without picking up a 500s + save penalty…

Well the guy calling the shots doesn’t run PC games but all the admins have done several speedruns and the pc games admin is strongly against scripts ever since he made a very simple script which could bunny hop faster than the best quake players.

I don’t see why we’re being that annoyed by it, I really don’t mind. I think it is the best decision for SDA to stop allowing this. I just say that we continue the ep2 run as we have been doing, we just don’t submit it to SDA.

Well the guy calling the shots doesn't run PC games but all the admins have done several speedruns and the pc games admin is strongly against scripts ever since he made a very simple script which could bunny hop faster than the best quake players.

Wasn’t that the 100m dash?

Yeah that’s right. Apparently the quake players thought that a script could never be as fast but his scripted run beat the record and it wasn’t even an optimised script. The fear is that if they don’t ban scripts then people will end up being able to script parts of a run and there’s just no where to draw the line, they never should have accepted AHK.

Does grandfather clause work for games already submitted using scripts? Like, updating a speedrun that is already on SDA.

Go ask. The rules which have been put in that thread aren’t very good even after the update. There’s still a bunch of refinement to do to them which speed running needs and they say it’s the final cut. Bad business. >.>

I don’t think it’s allowed, no. I’m not sure if it’s official, but from the thread I got the thought that if you want to beat one of them, you need to do it no-script. Basically means that the scripted ones are there forever unless someone’s crazy good and dedicated.

I remember a post by Mike, saying something like “The very last run that will go up with scripts is the ep1 run”, then he later said something about accepting your Portal run.