playing video

uhh hi. I wana see the videos of your runs but i cant seem to get it in a video file. i am using FF and tring to open it with quicktime but it isnt a video file. So err, how do i get to see your runs? is their a special program or somthing? :huh:

They are demo files, not video files. Open up HL2 and press F2. Navigate to the demo file you want to view and play it.

Well actually you should press Shift+F2 (brings up a demo-player, then select open and choose the demo you want to see).First you’ll need to download the demos (from this site) and put them in this folder:C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps[YOUR_NAME]\half-life 2\hl2(Just find your ‘Valve’ folder and go from there…)After the demos are in this folder you do the Shift+F2 thing…

Yeah, thats what I mean, my mistake :slight_smile:

I have a CRACKED OLD VERSION (and when i mean old, i mean really fucking old one from 2 years back) and need somehow to update it. not any doxilys or whatever patch that u create folder and that shit. no, i mean serious update.exe from somwhere. i cant get it from steam, because i have CRACKED VERSION without steam. So please can sombody help me with this?

buy it? it isnt that expensive anymore.

Wipe the cracked version from your system and just buy it from Steam. Don’t be a lame-o pirate. Valve made a great game and you shouldn’t stiff them. Besides, future updates will be painless and you won’t have to worry about your account being suddenly locked out.

I agree, espically if you are using the game so much by doing speed running. Esh

QUOTE (DaleLewill @ Jan 15 2006, 05:48 AM)Well actually you should press Shift+F2 (brings up a demo-player, then select open and choose the demo you want to see).First you’ll need to download the demos (from this site) and put them in this folder:C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps[YOUR_NAME]\half-life 2\hl2(Just find your ‘Valve’ folder and go from there…)After the demos are in this folder you do the Shift+F2 thing…What format of file needs to go into this directory? I can’t find any ‘.dem’ files available for download from this site or anywhere for that matter.

The .dem files we are referring to can be found here. However the first half or so of them need a special backup version of steam to play. I recommend just getting the video however. You don’t have to screw about with backup versions or loading or anything.

Ok thanks but the link is not working.I did go to:http://speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?HalfLife2_13657and download the demo files in a .rar format.I then went to http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000…%26tag%3Dbuttonand downloaded a WinRAR program and unpacked the archive files.I dumped them inC:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\gabbroman\half-life 2\hl2However they don’t play.

Only the later ones will play with updated Steam. For the earlier ones you need to install a special backup.

I dled the .avi file for the video, but for some reason only the audio portion seems to work. I’ve tried playing it in Windows Media Player, WinAmp, and DivX. When I try in WMP or WinAmp it just plays the audio, and when I try in DivX it says that it can’t play the file because "This video file you are opening includes video data that is not recognized by DivX Player. The file contains the following type of data: Video data: FOURCC code “H264” You may need to install a new video codec on your computer to watch"Anyone know what I can do? I’d really rather not have my two hours of dl time be a waste and I was looking forward to seeing how some other people got through HL2 quickly…

use vlc. it’s the easiest.

The archive HalfLife2_13657_demos.rar has two folders.The first “Post-Updated” plays fine in my HL2 language (Russian)The second one “Pre-Updated” needs this “backup archive”, but it only loads the game in English. Does anyone know how to make it run in my language?