Phase 1 Video

HALF LIFE 2 - EPISODE 1 - DONE QUICK - Phase 1Completed in 47 minutes, 06 seconds by runners: suga, CaLeB-, and Takiata.Video compiled/created by Cylert.Note that this is only Phase 1, so there are a few mistakes in the run that could be avoided to obtain a faster time. Also, the quality of the video isnt the best it could have been. If the HL2EP1DQ project reaches Phase 2, a better quality video will be made at that time.Xvid video / Lame audioYou can obtain the video by downloading the following torrent:MiniNova Download - Half-Life 2: Episode 1 - DONE QUICK - Phase 1Google Video (quality is pretty bad) - HL2EP1DQ

Downloading now…Thanks :slight_smile:

Thank you for converting the demos into a video. Sorry for not replying earlier, I’ve had tests at school…There is not that much action as in the regular HL2 speed run, but that’s not the runners’ fault. I wish there were not that many limitations making it hard to run. It seems like there is not much interest in it anymore, which is sad.

Yah. Quite true. Alyx is a bitch.It’s her fault, blame it on here :slight_smile:

y is mat_fullbright 1 in some underground levels

mat_fulbright 1 is used because otherwise there would be nothing to see in those segments other than the HUD. I don’t know how suga performed the run. He may have turned it on (likely), or he may have done it blindly by memorization.In the demo playback, it’s off by default. I thought it would be too boring to just see the HUD and hear the sounds in pitch blackness, so I set mat_fulbright 1 then captured the demo playback. I also captured the playback without using mat_fulbright. When editing the video together, I just put the two versions side by side, and faded from natural to fulbrighted anytime the screen went completely black.

You only need a basic video editing software supporting multiple video channels. One that is capable of that is Adobe’s Premiere (which in my knowledge is far from basic).

Surely you just captured it the one time, but bound mat_fullbright or whatever the command is to a button to be toggled on/off?

QUOTE (Pincus @ Mar 11 2007, 10:53 AM)Surely you just captured it the one time, but bound mat_fullbright or whatever the command is to a button to be toggled on/off?I captured the underground segment twice. Once with mat_fulbright set to 0, and once with it set to 1. I could have bound that command to a button, but I preferred to just edit from one take to the other using Sony’s Vegas Video (my editor of choice). That way I could pinpoint the position where the screen goes black, rather than trying to do it on the fly. I just matched up the two takes in the timeline, and faded to the fulbright 1 footage anytime the natural take went pitch black. It only took a few extra minutes to capture the footage a second time, and a few more minutes to edit the two takes together.I’m glad people are asking about this video. I know the image quality isn’t as crisp as RandomEngy’s HL2DQ, but I hope it’s not too painful to watch. I also hope a little interest is generated in making the run faster too. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if it’s even possible to trim off more than a minute or two. I think it’s pretty funny that Episode 1 was delayed shortly after the HL2DQ video was released. I wonder how much of the delay was so Valve could plug the flying, and to setup walls in order to keep speedrunners from going out of bounds.

Cylert, the quality was fine :slight_smile:

The fading looks great. So does the video quality. I think it was a good idea to use mat_fullbright 1 so people, especially those who don’t know the game that well, can see what is going on. Although it may confuse viewers to consider it a game feature, I don’t see any harm done whatsoever.

Cylert, and it is possible for video even more more better quality (File size has no value). Insane Quality forever!Simply it would be desirable very much high quality of video…P.S.Sorry for my English =)And many thanks for video!!!

No need for extreme quality yet, cause this is only phase one. But… P2 might never BE.

Um, guys:http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index…ws&id=983&cc=USQUOTE Half-Life 2: Episode One* Fixed jerky animation in demo recordingsCould somebody let me know if this fixed the recording/playback problem? Maybe even a video? pretty pleeease? :smiley: Is it fixed? :blink:

QUOTE (DaleLewill @ Mar 15 2007, 12:09 AM)Could somebody let me know if this fixed the recording/playback problem? Maybe even a video? pretty pleeease? :smiley: Holy …! Thanks for the news!I’ll try this out as soon as possible! Unfortunately, that may not be until Monday. I’ll let you know what I find out.If it does indeed fix the problem, I’ll probably remake the video. It’s worth it just for the first several minutes outside the Citadel when Alyx is having seizures. I also want to try some other techniques for capturing the video that may yield better quality results.

Just remember that they said to have fixed demo stuttering earlier, which they did not do. At least not completely. Also, sometimes updates cause more trouble.

QUOTE (DaleLewill @ Mar 15 2007, 02:09 AM)Um, guys:http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index…ws&id=983&cc=USQUOTE Half-Life 2: Episode One* Fixed jerky animation in demo recordingsCould somebody let me know if this fixed the recording/playback problem? Maybe even a video? pretty pleeease? :smiley: Is it fixed? :blink:They fixed it!, but the old demos will not play :angry: -->>PETTER<<–

I guess we need doxliy to make a patch for it if he has HL2:E1. Fortunately phase two has not started yet, otherwise there could be problems with synchronising.

test…test…success =)