OpenSource, a tool to merge Source engine maps together

Done by my friend w23 from Novosibirsk. Yes, the tool’s name is a groanworthy pun. :smiley:

Here’s a fly-by demo of Half-Life:

Thought you guys might be amused by the amount of map intersections. :slight_smile: Since HL and HLS maps are identical in size and relative positions this might even prove useful for speedrunning.

He’s going to open up Portal 2 next. :slight_smile:

Woah, this looks awesome

Truly awesome. Will try it out. Maybe I’ve missed some overlaps.

w23 didn’t originally plan for this tool to be used for speedruns, but, being a fan of your work, he’s willing to make this tool more useful if that helps in some way. Or so he told me. :slight_smile:

Is there any such improvement possible, like perhaps highlighting overlaps and showing their coordinates, or something similar? Any specific wishes you could think of that could be implemented in a map parser?

First of all, I wasn’t able to run the program. I tried to launch OpenSource.exe and got message that MSVCP110.dll was missing. But I’m not even sure that’s the way to do it.

But yeah! If I had it working, some kind of highlight would ease things a lot.

Thanks for your/his help.

Re: MSVCP110.dll

You need the latest C++ runtime library, http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/B/16B06F60-3B20-4FF2-B699-5E9B7962F9AE/VSU1/vcredist_x86.exe

^Great, works!

Now when I’ve tried it. It’s really hard to keep track of maps. Maybe it would be possible to choose what maps to merge? Since the changelevel delay trick only works with previous and following map anyway. Maybe fullbright option too.

Maybe spam the mapname as texture.

Conveyed to w23. He’s a bit short on time, but he’ll see what he can do. Most likely the two features to be implemented first would be a selector of maps to render, and a jump to mapname.

killer