Am I allowed to mirror some Half-Life speedrunning files?

Hi,

Am I allowed to host my own copies of various Half-Life speedrunning files for people to download?

I am not trying to claim ownership of them or anything like that, it’s just that quite often download links for old files are broken and they are difficult to find, so another mirror would do no harm.

I am specifically talking about bhop maps (bunnyrace, longjump, etc), the NGHL installer, bunnymodpro, etc.

I don’t want to accidentally violate copyright law or upset someone by distributing these files.

Thank you!

We aren’t really the people to ask because we don’t own them but I don’t see why not.
But if you wanna mirror the unpacks, that would be neat.

I think if you clearly state where it originates from and you don’t make any revenue from it noone will have a problem with it.

Ok, I’ll make sure to give full credit and links to the original creators/download.

My site does not have any adverts/tracking so I won’t make a penny from it.

On another note: Does NGHL count as pirated content? Since it’s essentially a fully working copy of the game that you can get for free, instead of paying $10 on Steam.

Thanks!

It is but since there are many ways to get the game for free legitimately Valve doesn’t really care.

Ok.

What are the free ways to get the game legitimately?

Edit: Since the download link on the wiki for bunnyrace_beta2 is broken (parked domain), should I replace it with my mirror (direct link to the .bsp)?

For example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/225840/

Edit: Since the download link on the wiki for bunnyrace_beta2 is broken (parked domain), should I replace it with my mirror (direct link to the .bsp)?
sure

I edited the wiki.

Thanks for your help.

What kind of storage do you have on your server?

The old engine unpack is a source mod but the episodic unpacks and the regular unpack is a copy of the game with Steam’s DRM implemented so you need to have Steam open and own the game in your Steam library to play it (as if you were playing the Steam version of HL/Portal/etc).

For copyright, Valve has that of course but I doubt they give a shit that we are distributing it because there are several ways you can get the Half Life series game files yourself off of Steam’s own servers for free and I’m fairly certain they know about it already too. But if you’re uncomfortable hosting it on your site I understand.