Author Topic: About the plug in c17_02b  (Read 287 times)

skusmet

About the plug in c17_02b
« on: January 16, 2017, 16:19:53 »
Hey, first post here so I'm sorry if this could have gone in an existing topic already.

I was watching a streamer doing a run in Ep1 and there was issue with shooting the plug out of the socket in c17_02b. Usually you would use an explosive I.E. SMG alt fire but in his run he wasn't getting the SMG so he had to shoot it manually or punt with the grav gun.

I decompiled the BSP and checked it out in Hammer and it seems this is the reason:

The part that is highlighted is the actual "breakable" part of the plug - aka the part you need to hit / shoot. But in front of it there is a phys box which I can only surmise is blocking bullets from hitting it head on. To add to that, the plug model is actually sticking out from the breakable phys box and will also block bullets from hitting the breakable entity.

So unless you want to use an explosive, you'll need to have some good accuracy and hit around the outside of the breakable physbox like you can see in the image.

In terms of in-game relativity, this is the area you want to hit:

As you can see, you basically don't want to hit the plug at all.

I'm not a SRunner but I dabbled with Source quite a long time ago and just wanted to try and figure something out for a cool community. This might be common knowledge or really irrelevant I don't know, but at least I can put that I tried on my headstone. ^_^

And a video finally just to show it working as discussed

Rama

• HL2DQer Team
Re: About the plug in c17_02b
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:41:27 »
Cool research, I hope you make more of these :)
BitRain: its like having sex and a canoe
fucking near water

Inexistence

• Ex-Admin
  • Yes, Inexistence is a word
    • Source Runs
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 14:31:58 »
Yeah, I remember doing the segment for this in the first ep1 run. It was an absolute bitch to hit it with the first bullet, especially given the accuracy of the smg. Good research.

skusmet

« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2017, 18:39:31 »
Well if anybody wants anything in particular looking at or think a certain part of a run that is tricky might benefit from a decompile just let me know.